Vero is OSMC's new flagship device. Find out more here.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Performance vs OpenElec
04-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Performance vs OpenElec
All,

I am looking for some insight into the performance differences of OpenElec vs Crystalbuntu 2.0. I am not looking to start a flame war, however, I am looking for an honest discussion regarding menu navigation, play back, add-ons, etc. I am aware you cannot add things and you dont have a package manager. I am honestly just looking for an HTPC appliance vs HTPC appliance.

Thoughts?

THanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2013, 08:04 PM
RE: Performance vs OpenElec
You should try OE yourself. It'll run from USB as well. (I've not run OE in a long time, back from version 0.99.7 RC something. It worked. I just didn't like the appliance nature of the system.)

Debug log instructions:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file/Easy
04-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Of course I will, I was just curious if anyone had. I would hope it's a convo we could all have purely for the sake of discussion
05-01-2013, 10:27 AM
I tried its 3.0 release it could be good only if it didnt have that crazy lag after starting every video file,

video start playing and you hear sound but picture is slow then it goes fast to reach audio and this happenes almost every time and runs for first 10 seconds even after pause

xbmc devices :
Atv1 + crystalhd + cb2 (1080p)
Atv1 + cb2 (sd)
Atv2 + xbmc 12.1 (720p)
Pivos xios + linux xbmc 12 (1080p)
ubuntu desktop + xbmc 12.1 (1080p)
xbox 1 + xbmc x 2 (sd)
ios and android devices too many to count Wink
05-01-2013, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 01:04 PM by brobins.)
Hey,

I am quite new to XMBC and my opinions are completely impartial, but I thought this would be relevant here;

Last week I decided to bring a fresh lease of life to my ATV 1 by installing a new Crystal HD Decoder '15' and openELEC. All went really well and I tested 10 or so 1080p movies and although everything played I was left somewhat underwhelmed overall as there was a few minor issues and the UI speed seemed a little 'laggy', especially with fan art enabled.

The issues I that experienced were mainly to do with jerky playback of 1080p movies for around 10 - 20 seconds until the buffer caught up. Not the end of the world but not perfect either. The second issue was a slight crackling or fuzzing sound every now and again, especially on loud action scenes (I remember the beginning of The Avengers being particularly bad).

Anyway, last night I decided to install the latest Crystalbuntu to see if there was any difference or if the problem was down to my actual movie files.

All I can say is that everything is flawless on Crystalbuntu! No jerky playback, no crackling sounds, much snappier interface even with fan art enabled. I am so happy I decided to give it a go. I can safely say that I will be sticking with it (I am one of these people who tends to leave things alone once they are working well. Heck, I used my Apple TV for over 2 years with the default OS).

+ 1 for Crystalbuntu!

Ben
05-03-2013, 11:53 PM
I experienced the same issues with OpenElec, stuttering on starting the initial playback. Slightly laggy UI. Otherwise it was pretty good. Just switched to CB2 a couple days ago. So far performance feels better all around. Although there seems to be a bug in AirPlay at the moment (which didn't exist on OpenElec), which is gonna make my bday party tomorrow a little less fun Tongue

With both OE and CB2 I'm experiencing some apparent HDMI negotiation issues if my TV/reciever is switched off for a duration.

Overall: CB2 is what I'm sticking with
05-09-2013, 04:33 PM
I have just moved to openelec, due airplay is not working on crystalbuntu. With the new v. 3.0.2, i dont see much difference between crystalbuntu and openelec....

(I'm using the BCMxxx15 card)
05-10-2013, 01:45 AM
I originally tried openelec but chose Crystalbuntu because of openelec's "appliance" design.
I want a OS with a normal file system that I can easily work with, not the squashfs that openelec uses.

How to post a debug log for help.
Crystalbuntu Installer and Basic Docs--> http://www.crystalbuntu.com
Ask Beginner Questions HERE
05-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Both have there strengths and weaknesses. I have to say both do what it was designed to do so it depends on your needs. I have not experienced any UI stutters on either builds but one time when I screw something up on xorg and managed to set the refresh rate to max 22fps.

Latest OE:
- SMB and AirPlay works flawless
- pretty much can not install or compile due to the nature of what it was built on
- SD and HD vids will lag a few secs before it syncs with audio
- install and leave it alone

Latest CB:
- OS based on a large/helpful Ubuntu and linux community
- compile and install what you need, install repos with pre-compiled tools
- SMB and AirPlay is lack luster and not able to install bleeding edge CB to test/play with
- able to go God mode and do what you like with it until you screw something up and end up reinstalling Smile
05-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Nomadman, you have to admit thou being God feels pretty awesome!