RaspbmcCrystalbuntu

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't Access via Windows Explorer
03-28-2013, 04:53 AM
Can't Access via Windows Explorer
I have a USB harddrive attached to my Raspbmc. I have a network drive of it mapped to my desktop PC (Windows 7). I used to be able to access this network drive via Windows Explorer. After the last update, it now prompts me for a username and password. I haven't changed the password. I've tried "pi" & "raspberry" for username and password respectively. I've tried "workgroup", "xbmc", and "raspbmc" for the domain. None of these combinations work.

I've tried enabling the root user and using FTP. I get denied access.

I've tried WinSCP, but it is unbelievably slow.

I even disconnected the USB harddrive, connected it to my PC, copied the files, reconnected the USB harddrive to my Raspbmc. For some reason the files are not there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would love for the Windows Explorer option to work again. I found it was the fastest way to transfer the files.

Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2013, 06:19 AM
RE: Can't Access via Windows Explorer
(03-25-2013 10:42 PM)S4MU3L Wrote:  As far as I can see, they forgot to add the user "pi" to the samba users. It could be solved by executing the command: "sudo smbpasswd -a pi" and then try again to connect with the user pi and the password you provided

I found this solution following this thread: smbpasswd

Hope that helps..
03-28-2013, 03:14 PM
@PeterT, that worked for me. Strange how the release notes give username/password but yet it is not set. Oh well. Got it thanks for your help.
03-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Thank you so much Peter. That solved my problem.
03-28-2013, 07:30 PM
That fixed it. Thank you. And how did that slip past testing?
03-28-2013, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2013 07:54 PM by kingfishcoons.)
(03-28-2013 04:53 AM)elmojo Wrote:  I have a USB harddrive attached to my Raspbmc. I have a network drive of it mapped to my desktop PC (Windows 7). I used to be able to access this network drive via Windows Explorer.

How were you able to set this up? When I try to map the drive I see both 'devices' and 'pi' but they're both empty directories.

[Image: V1J9ndQ.png]

EDIT: Answered my own question. For anyone else looking follow this guide. You can start with the section that reads "After that configure a share in samba".
03-30-2013, 09:35 PM
    I have a similar issue. I have a Win7 laptop and recently noticed the RaspBMC in my network. I clicked on it and was able to access its contents. I even transferred a few movie files from the laptop to the Pi. Yesterday, when I tried to access the Pi, I got a username and password prompt. It looks like a windows password prompt. I attached a file. I'm not sure what username and password I should be using. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
03-30-2013, 09:42 PM
(03-30-2013 09:35 PM)RPiBoricua Wrote:  I have a similar issue. I have a Win7 laptop and recently noticed the RaspBMC in my network. I clicked on it and was able to access its contents. I even transferred a few movie files from the laptop to the Pi. Yesterday, when I tried to access the Pi, I got a username and password prompt. It looks like a windows password prompt. I attached a file. I'm not sure what username and password I should be using. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

This question has been asked many many times of late; the current update to RaspBMC changed the Samba configuration to require authentication; unfortunately, it did not complete the required setup.

From the command line on RaspBMC (either on the TV when you have selected to exit from RaspBMC, or via SSH) type
Code:
sudo smbpasswd -a pi
and then, when prompted type in the passwird you want to use.
03-30-2013, 09:49 PM
If it had completed the samba password for pi user it would have been pointless as everyone would know the password. Anyways, just made a sticky so hopefully it will reduce the forum clutter with the same question over and over.

Pi problems?? Start here http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=3918
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting
http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt
03-31-2013, 12:34 AM
(03-30-2013 09:42 PM)PeterT Wrote:  
(03-30-2013 09:35 PM)RPiBoricua Wrote:  I have a similar issue. I have a Win7 laptop and recently noticed the RaspBMC in my network. I clicked on it and was able to access its contents. I even transferred a few movie files from the laptop to the Pi. Yesterday, when I tried to access the Pi, I got a username and password prompt. It looks like a windows password prompt. I attached a file. I'm not sure what username and password I should be using. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

This question has been asked many many times of late; the current update to RaspBMC changed the Samba configuration to require authentication; unfortunately, it did not complete the required setup.

From the command line on RaspBMC (either on the TV when you have selected to exit from RaspBMC, or via SSH) type
Code:
sudo smbpasswd -a pi
and then, when prompted type in the passwird you want to use.

Thank you. My apologies for posting a problem already resolved in this forum.