RaspbmcCrystalbuntu

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspbmc - turn on after shutdown
01-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Raspbmc - turn on after shutdown
Hi all...
I've a question.
I've raspberry pi 2° version with 512mb with raspbmc installed on...

When i shut down it using the functionality present on xbmc, the system shut down (as any normal pc) even if the power cord is connected.
Is there a way to re-start it without pull off and re-connect the power cable?

the fact is that I would like not to leave the pi on all the time because using xbmc the cpu is always ay 80%...
But if I shut it down I've to disconnect and reconnect the power cord...

I've read that there is not wake on lan, and I think that I can't wake it neither using IR (except if adding some more hardware).

but I suppose that when it has been shutted down, even if the power cable is connected it will not consume a lot of power and there will not be cpu usage... but in this situation, how can i turn it on?

thanks,
Siggy
Is there a way for a noob as me to solve it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2013, 10:11 AM
RE: Raspbmc - turn on after shutdown
Normally remains the Raspberry Pi always active,the only way to restart is to release the power supply,or reboot using SSH
But you might try to connect the power supply to a USB port on your TV (if present and have enough power supply)

Raspberry Pi 512MB+Usb-Hub+2Tb HDDDe
Samsung 32GB CL6 SDHC Card
Connection=Wired
Power Supply TV Usb-Port
XBMC (12.3 Git:20131212-9ed3e58), Platform: Linux (Debian GNU/Linux 7.4 (wheezy), 3.10.36 armv6l). Built on Apr 12 2014
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-15-2013, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2013 10:15 AM by monkey13.)
If you are looking at cpu usage through XBMC system info then ignore that. It isn't right. Goes up when you look at it.

I think I read somewhere that idling the pi uses about 2W. Which is nothing. Less than a 5th of an energy saving light bulb.

Some rough calculations. Assuming 2W idling and 15 pence/kWh. (quite pricey electricity)

Price per hour to idle 0.03p
Price per day to idle 0.72p
Price per year to idle £2.63

Now the max power should be 3.5W (5V * 700mA) Lets say 4W as that is a nice round number.

So then the pi running at 100% 24/7 will cost.

Price per hour to idle 0.06p
Price per day to idle 1.5p
Price per year to idle £5.26

Is it worth it so save approximately £3 per year in the absolute probably not happening worst case scenario?

Also before anyone starts. Yes I know no allowance for USB hubs, devices etc..
01-15-2013, 10:23 AM
it is no a problem of costs...
I do not know if the xbmc power usage is right or not, but I do not think it is a good think for a cpu to be always at 100%...
I've also read that after being left on for a long time some functionality do not work and need a reboot...

@French:
you say that is always active... what do you mean? is it active always after i shut it down? I think it only as power... in this situation if ssh work I suppose also WOL should work... or not? :-D
01-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Well 5W is the max the pi should be able to draw.

I'll say it again since despite saying it once and it being mentioned about 100000000000000 times on this forum.

The cpu is not running at the number you see in XBMC system info. It is at that value because it is busy drawing updating that screen.

So that is time 100000000000001

Mine is on 24/7 and I don't need to reboot for functionality.

Also you can try SSH to power on the pi. Think about it and you might work out why that won't work.
01-15-2013, 10:48 AM
@monkey...
Im very new to linux.. I said ssh because French said that...
In teory if the receiving computer is of nossh work... the fact is that rpi is in a custom situation: no os is running but it is powered as if it is on...
I've never had linux and i received the rpi 3 days ago... so I'm full of doubt, question and wrong ideas...
01-15-2013, 10:56 AM
I just wouldn't bother. If you only want to shut it down because you think the CPU is running at a high % all the time then you don't need to, because it isn't.

If you are not worried about the couple of quid a year cost. Why bother? For me the savings in my time and energy from sorting all that out is less cost than setting up a situation to remotely turn on a device that wasn't designed to be remotely turned on.
01-15-2013, 10:58 AM
if, as you say, xbmc on raspberry pi does not get cpu at high %, you are right...
01-15-2013, 11:02 AM
There is a way to connect two GPIO pins to start the PI. I have read it on this forum, but do not know exact thread. Try to find it...
01-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Siggy Wrote:@French:
you say that is always active... what do you mean?
When you exit/shut down XBMC the Raspberry Pi remains activated (Power supply stays on) So whether you're disconnect the power supply or reboot using SSH you will need to perform a restart to start XBMC again.When you're connect the Raspberry Pi to a USB port on your TV it will completely turn off when you turn off the TV.

Raspberry Pi 512MB+Usb-Hub+2Tb HDDDe
Samsung 32GB CL6 SDHC Card
Connection=Wired
Power Supply TV Usb-Port
XBMC (12.3 Git:20131212-9ed3e58), Platform: Linux (Debian GNU/Linux 7.4 (wheezy), 3.10.36 armv6l). Built on Apr 12 2014
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user