Vero is OSMC's new flagship device. Find out more here.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DTS decoding used to work better
01-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Lightbulb DTS decoding used to work better
Hi guys!

First, I have to say, that I am really enjoying my raspberry pi with raspBMC. It makes great, cheap media center. Smile

But I have a problem regarding DTS decoding. Few distros back I am pretty sure that my raspberry was able to decode DTS flawlessly in 720p movies. Right now, this is not the case. I have CPU at 910MHz and I still have 0,5s hiccup every minute. As far as I can remember, 720p/h264/DTS playback used to be hiccup free, even at 840MHz.

Do you guys have similar experiences? Where do you think the problem lies?

And yes, I don't have DTS capable receiver, so raspberry have to do it.

cheers Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 08:42 PM
RE: DTS decoding used to work better
Try enabling swap
Code:
touch /home/pi/.enable-swap
then reboot

Pi problems?? Start here http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=3918
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting
http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt
01-12-2013, 10:12 PM
It didn't work. And .enable-swap file is empty all the time.
01-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Some ppl have had better luck installing to NFS or USB in order to use fast/super/oc.

How to SSH into your pi
Info Required For Support
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2013, 11:21 PM
(01-12-2013 10:12 PM)s-master Wrote:  It didn't work. And .enable-swap file is empty all the time.
It's supposed to be empty, it's not a swap file it's a switch to tell the system to enable swap

Pi problems?? Start here http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=3918
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting
http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt
01-13-2013, 12:53 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2013 01:00 AM by TiNa.)
Have you checked via ssh and use top wether your cpu usage is over 95% during playback? and cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq to read present cpu speed??

Because if cpu usage stays below 95%, then your system will not use overclock adjustments and your cpu speed reads 700000 (if you use the preset "cpufreq/ondemand governor").
This would make sence that after system improvements through software evolvement your system does not cross the vital line of 95% cpu usage to speed up into Turbo Mode.
All overspeed settings (CPU, CORE, DRAM, ...) are interconnected and come only in effect once CPU crosses 95%!

If that's the case try this!

(01-12-2013 11:21 PM)Dilligaf Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 10:12 PM)s-master Wrote:  It didn't work. And .enable-swap file is empty all the time.
It's supposed to be empty, it's not a swap file it's a switch to tell the system to enable swap

Hi Dilligaf
I myself tried to reactivate swap before but didn't know the correct term. So thanx for that !!
But where will swap be created ?? in RAM on CF card or next to data files on i.e. my USB stick ???
01-13-2013, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2013 06:23 PM by CaNsA.)
Alright dudes.

I've read through this whole thread, some very decent info, so I can play 1080p + DTS-HD on the R-Pi through Xbian.

Yesterday I watched the entire movie, Pastebin'd Media Info, without a problem.
No stuttering or buffering Big Grin

I am passing the DTS to my a/v receiver to sort out.
RaspBMC boots from a 4GB Transcend Class 6 SDCard and is installed to a USB stick (4gb SanDisk Cruzer) hooked in through a Belkin F5U231 actively powered 4-port USB hub.
The hub is the only USB device which is directly plugged into the R-Pi.
Connected to the network over Ethernet.
I do have heatsinks and a small fan on the R-Pi, some might argue they aren't needed though.
The fan is powered by the Belkin hub.

My config, set through the config add-on, is:-
Code:
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
gpu_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=6
disable_overscan=1
gpu_mem_256=128
gpu_mem_512=256

I did notice that if there was an active ssh session that can cause a brief stutter, but not buffering.

I hope this helps someone.
01-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Well yes DTS passthrough will make all the difference as the pi won't have to do the DTS decoding.

To the OP. First enable hdmi_force_edid_audio=1 in config.txt (through the raspmbc prog) to enable DTS passthrough. If that solves the stuttering then just get non-DTS vids or re-encode to AC3.
01-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Tnx guys. Smile

First of all, raspbmc is installed on USB 3.0 drive, so this shouldn't be a bottleneck. OC is not dynamic, therefore frequency is fixed.

While playing a DTS movie, I was checking CPU usage and it was maxed out sometimes, hence the stuttering.

But then I backuped raspbmc and instaled xbian and the stuttering stopped. CPU usage while playing a 720p DTS movie was roughly 20% lower then in raspbmc. No idea why but I probably screwed something up. I will try with fresh new install for raspbmc and will report back. Smile
01-13-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere that some USB 3.0 drives actually don't perform very well on the pi.

If you google it there is a way to test the performance through ssh.

How are you getting these files to the pi? If you are using SMB that won't help things either.