Vero is OSMC's new flagship device. Find out more here.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Remotes
07-05-2012, 05:31 PM
RE: Remotes
(07-05-2012 08:49 AM)s7mx1 Wrote:  Here is the updated lircd_helper which should hopefully start lircd when you boot up pi with remote attached

Code:
sudo wget http://db.tt/nnwJSWMV -O /lib/udev/lircd_helper
sudo chmod +x /lib/udev/lircd_helper

restart pi afterwards and post the /var/log/syslog.

Yeah, looks like remote work straight from the reboot. Nice job. Smile
Syslog - http://sdrv.ms/M8iXZD

Is it possible to modify key mapping? I want to add few commands.
And it is still not possible to turn on RPi with remote. Could we do something here?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Great to hear.

You can customise all the keys as outlined here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Use...ircmap.xml

But you will not be able to power on/off the pi since it has no acpi compliant hardware build in.

(07-05-2012 05:31 PM)relyt Wrote:  
(07-05-2012 08:49 AM)s7mx1 Wrote:  Here is the updated lircd_helper which should hopefully start lircd when you boot up pi with remote attached

Code:
sudo wget http://db.tt/nnwJSWMV -O /lib/udev/lircd_helper
sudo chmod +x /lib/udev/lircd_helper

restart pi afterwards and post the /var/log/syslog.

Yeah, looks like remote work straight from the reboot. Nice job. Smile
Syslog - http://sdrv.ms/M8iXZD

Is it possible to modify key mapping? I want to add few commands.
And it is still not possible to turn on RPi with remote. Could we do something here?
07-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Hi, I was wondering if I can get a bit of help getting my IR receiver up and running...

I bought this one off eBay:

MCE Remote

It works out of the box on a Windows PC, but I'm having no luck in Raspbmc or OpenElec.

It came with a remote but the plan is eventually to use my Harmony remote once I get the IR receiver working.

lsusb gives me this:
Code:
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 413c:3016 Dell Computer Corp. Optical 5-Button Wheel Mouse
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1d57:ad02
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.

The receiver is device 004.

ls -lrt /dev/lircd gives me:

Code:
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 Jul  7 12:57 /dev/lircd

ps -ef | grep lircd:
Code:
pi         712   696  0 12:53 pts/0    00:00:00 grep lircd

Note sure what steps I need to take next, does the receiver need drivers? I believe from running lsusb on OpenElec it identifies it as a Xenda, but I can't find anything else about it (generic cheapo receiver).

Running irw doesn't do anything, doesn't wait for input from remote.

Any help appreciated!
07-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with 2nd gen apple remotes (silver) on the PI ? My local supermarket is selling them off cheap and was thinking about buying one (and then getting a cheap receiver). Dont expect it to work out of the box but but any advice would be great.

Will it work with normal RC6 receiver ? (configuring LIRC), would ATVclient work for configuration?
07-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Remotes
(07-07-2012 05:54 PM)ISMF Wrote:  Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with 2nd gen apple remotes (silver) on the PI ? My local supermarket is selling them off cheap and was thinking about buying one (and then getting a cheap receiver). Dont expect it to work out of the box but but any advice would be great.

Will it work with normal RC6 receiver ? (configuring LIRC), would ATVclient work for configuration?

Having used one with xbmc on atv2 (& older version on atv1) they look pretty, but really don't have enough buttons
07-08-2012, 10:35 AM
(07-07-2012 02:08 PM)discodog1 Wrote:  I bought this one off eBay:

Instead you should have got this one

as it works fine for most of the buttons.

I could not get the letters input working unless I used the mouse part of it (bit clunky, but worked in the end)

Anybody has an idea how to make the letters input work?

sebus
07-08-2012, 10:51 AM
(07-08-2012 10:35 AM)sebus Wrote:  
(07-07-2012 02:08 PM)discodog1 Wrote:  I bought this one off eBay:

Instead you should have got this one

as it works fine for most of the buttons.

I could not get the letters input working unless I used the mouse part of it (bit clunky, but worked in the end)

Anybody has an idea how to make the letters input work?

sebus

I have this one too, I cant get it to move to the onscreen keyboard.

I was rather waiting for RC4 before messing with it anymore. Have you read this?

Also I only bought mine for the receiver and use mine with a Harmony which has a better angle.

Cheers

Alan
07-08-2012, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 07:10 PM by sebus.)
I will do Harmony learning once i have it all running in a manner that I understand (what which button does)

sebus
07-09-2012, 03:06 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 03:27 AM by nascent.)
(07-07-2012 05:54 PM)ISMF Wrote:  Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with 2nd gen apple remotes (silver) on the PI ? My local supermarket is selling them off cheap and was thinking about buying one (and then getting a cheap receiver). Dont expect it to work out of the box but but any advice would be great.

I too hope for this. I used to use a Boxee Box with Boxee remote
[Image: zM3mwl.jpg]

The Apple remote has the same amount of buttons on the front
[Image: tyGhw.jpg]
and want to get either one or the other working with raspbmc.

Boxee allowed navigation purely with the front buttons so it must be possible to configure xbmc/raspmc to do the same especially with the Xeebo/Inspirat skins.

I find I use the virtual keyboard a lot anyway, because the model of boxee remote I have has no backlighting.

I'd be over the moon in I could get either/both working with raspbmc.
07-11-2012, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2012 11:16 AM by s7mx1.)
THIS IS OUTDATED

Major changes to the how we handle remote

We have now switched from traditional lircd route into more up to date input driven remote handling. xbmc still talks to a lircd socket but instead of lircd we use evenlircd which listen on input events for all supported remote. Traditional remote is still handled by lircd but it does not talk to xbmc straight instead it injects the key press to uinput and turns itself into an input event which then feeds from eventlircd to xbmc.

There are lot advantages to it:
*) more clean and consistent remote handling
*) out of box support for event driven remote like MCE
*) multiple remote support. I can get 2 remote attached and controlling xbmc at the same time, so you and your significant other don't need to fight over a remote Wink
*) plug and play
*) since it uses the standard key mapping no customised Lircmap.xml is needed.

Code:
wget http://db.tt/******* -O /tmp/lircd-20120711.tgz
sudo rm /etc/udev/rules.d/20*
cd /
sudo tar xzf /tmp/lircd-20120711.tgz

reboot your pi afterwards.

For most majority people with recent purchased remote the following may not be a concern for you.

The only downside is key re-mapping that is needed for remote that is only supported by lirc, i.e. replace key names in lircd.conf for your remote by those defined in input.h header file. I have done so for original xbox remote and ati/x10 remote. Let me know if you need to do so.

On a side note, the upstream kernel source has fixed the system hung/freeze when unplugging remote dongle. We will see this fix land into RC4.