Vero is OSMC's new flagship device. Find out more here.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharing XBMC Library Database
06-26-2012, 09:50 PM
RE: Sharing XBMC Library Database
(06-26-2012 09:44 PM)spaceboy Wrote:  and that'll use the local metadata rather than redownloading it all? thats where i'm stuck

Which scraper are you using? IMDB will scrape with local NFOs/thumbnails/fanart first, if they exist.

As for sharing the Thumbnails folder, this isn't explicitly supported since you can't easily share the Textures13.db database (this only ever exists locally, and is used to map cached images to meta data - in addition, different clients may specify different sizes for images in order to perform optimally).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2012, 08:59 AM
(06-26-2012 09:50 PM)Milhouse Wrote:  
(06-26-2012 09:44 PM)spaceboy Wrote:  and that'll use the local metadata rather than redownloading it all? thats where i'm stuck

Which scraper are you using? IMDB will scrape with local NFOs/thumbnails/fanart first, if they exist.

As for sharing the Thumbnails folder, this isn't explicitly supported since you can't easily share the Textures13.db database (this only ever exists locally, and is used to map cached images to meta data - in addition, different clients may specify different sizes for images in order to perform optimally).

does it? i understood from someone else that its all downloaded so i didn't really check this, anyway i suppose it doesn't matter too much as it'll be fairly quick with the HTPC generating the library rather than the pi and its all from the same source(s) anyway. does the scraper for tv also pick up local metadata before downloading?

not too bothered about thumbnails for now, i'll wait for a native solution. thank you!
06-27-2012, 11:45 PM
(06-27-2012 08:59 AM)spaceboy Wrote:  
(06-26-2012 09:50 PM)Milhouse Wrote:  

does it? i understood from someone else that its all downloaded so i didn't really check this, anyway i suppose it doesn't matter too much as it'll be fairly quick with the HTPC generating the library rather than the pi and its all from the same source(s) anyway. does the scraper for tv also pick up local metadata before downloading?

not too bothered about thumbnails for now, i'll wait for a native solution. thank you!

From my understanding
1) NFO is scraped from folder
2) Fanart & banner are scraped from folder
3) Thumbnails are scraped from folder, but cached to each device

I think there was a change in Eden to link images (thumbnails specifically) in database, but pretty sure it was just a path, not the image itself
06-27-2012, 11:57 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2012 12:00 AM by Milhouse.)
(06-27-2012 11:45 PM)Freakin Wrote:  From my understanding
1) NFO is scraped from folder
2) Fanart & banner are scraped from folder
3) Thumbnails are scraped from folder, but cached to each device

I think there was a change in Eden to link images (thumbnails specifically) in database, but pretty sure it was just a path, not the image itself

Links to the original thumbnails - where "thumbnails" is a term used for all artwork - are stored in the database, whether they be "local" (accessed over NFS/SMB etc.) or via the internet.

When each client tries to display a missing image, these links are used to pull down the original image and resize it appropriately (according to thumbsize/fanartheight) before storing the resized version of the image in storage that is local to that client (ie. /Thumbnails) while also creating a cross reference between this cached image and the movie, in /Database/Textures13.db. Then the next time the image needs to be displayed, the cached version is used after querying Textures13.db...

It is possible to use pathsubstitution to store these resized thumbnails in a central network location, but without also sharing Textures13.db it's a bit of a futile exercise. In addition, different clients may require different size images to remain at optimal performance, so even if you did share (or sync) Textures13.db across all clients, sharing Thumbnails may not work perfectly. Not to mention, network access is likely to be slower in most cases.

More work is required to enable consistent multi-client thumbnail sharing. I'd be happy if it were possible to just kick off a per-client background task that sucked down and cached every missing thumbnail without me having to try to view each image in turn so that it can be cached.... Smile
06-28-2012, 04:13 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2012 04:48 PM by spaceboy.)
yeah, i'm having quite a lot of trouble with this. thing is neither the wiki or the lifehacker article are 100% accurate.

i've followed what i think were the steps. lifehacker does not mention anything about opening ports in windows firewall so thats where i got stuck first. simply solved but now my remote install of xbmc seems to connect to the databases and i can navigate through the media by going into the file submenu of videos, but it never actually populates the database as far as i can see. other differences are the xbmc article excludes the creation of the databases, which would seem fairly central to me and both articles refer to giving the database network access in the setup process which unless is called giving remote users root access does not appear to be in the version of mysql that i have.

by the way its not the issue relating to network access that is the problem because i can't even get this to work properly when xbmc and mysql are on the same machine!!

anyone any ideas?

think i've finally got it to work. not sure how but i went through the detailed setup rather than the standard one as recommended by both the wiki and the lifehacker page and it seems to be populating the database. with the wrong data again but still, making progress.... Smile

actually i didn't create the databases this time round as advised by the lifehacker article so perhaps the wiki is slightly more accurate
06-28-2012, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2012 08:57 PM by Milhouse.)
(06-28-2012 04:13 PM)spaceboy Wrote:  yeah, i'm having quite a lot of trouble with this. thing is neither the wiki or the lifehacker article are 100% accurate.

I think they're both a little out of date.

(06-28-2012 04:13 PM)spaceboy Wrote:  actually i didn't create the databases this time round as advised by the lifehacker article so perhaps the wiki is slightly more accurate

Certainly with Eden, there's no need to create the databases yourself- if they don't exist, XBMC will create them automatically.

Also, don't specify a "<name>" for your database in advancedsettings.xml - it's only necessary to do so if you want one of your profiles to use a specific database (eg., a young kids profile will use the "kids" database which is only populated with suitable material).
06-28-2012, 10:52 PM
finally, just to add, as its all working now. from my experience without changing the default settings and having perfect metadata, the local metadata is still ignored.

it took ages to get through the first 25% of the library so i left it, came back and found a message saying it had lost connection did i want it to continue scanning. when i said yes it flew through the final 75% so that must be picking up the local metadata
06-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Which scraper?

The IMDB scraper certainly scrapes local (nfo/fanart/tbn) metadata - absolutely no doubt about it. If it's not doing this, there's something wrong with your setup.
06-29-2012, 01:53 AM
Are you guys just doing this with an existing xbmc build on a pc or something and your pi?

Im using a 2TB NAS and just received my second Pi, so im trying to set up similar builds for my bedroom and then another which can be moved around the house for parents to use/brother etc.

I anticipate trouble with network identities first of all running them at the same time, hopefully that'll be a simple change of device name, but im wondering if I should have all the data stored on the nas (if I can) or if i'd be better to keep it local (and whether or not i'd see speed improvements by doing so)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-29-2012, 02:19 AM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2012 02:21 AM by Milhouse.)
(06-29-2012 01:53 AM)walleee Wrote:  Are you guys just doing this with an existing xbmc build on a pc or something and your pi?

Im using a 2TB NAS and just received my second Pi, so im trying to set up similar builds for my bedroom and then another which can be moved around the house for parents to use/brother etc.

I anticipate trouble with network identities first of all running them at the same time, hopefully that'll be a simple change of device name, but im wondering if I should have all the data stored on the nas (if I can) or if i'd be better to keep it local (and whether or not i'd see speed improvements by doing so)

Keeping all metadata on the NAS (in a MySQL database) will mean you only have to scrape your media once, for it to be visible to all of your XBMC clients. With shared metadata, any resume points (ie. "Resume from 1:23:34? or beginning" etc.) will also be shared across all clients, allowing you to pick up in the bedroom where you left off in the lounge etc. Thumbnails are probably best kept on the local (client) devices, for optimum performance (resizing, speed of access).

If you are scraping all data direct from the internet, you would be best off using your most powerful client to populate the database (ie. an x86 box), but with fully populated local metadata (eg. nfo/fanart/thumbnails) even a Raspberry Pi can scrape it pretty quickly.