Vero is OSMC's new flagship device. Find out more here.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mp4 playback slow motion
10-17-2012, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2012 08:05 PM by wcblack.)
Mp4 playback slow motion
I have an ATV1 with Crystal HD BCM(9)70015. Most mp4 files i have either play in extreme slow motion, no sound, or start to play and after a few minutes the video pauses but the sound continues. I've searched this forum and web for a week with no luck. Thank you for any advice/help. Here is my log: http://pastebin.com/rN8M5nMu
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-19-2012, 10:18 PM
RE: Mp4 playback slow motion
I think it is a software issue. Is there a way to use my BCM970015 card to decode mp4s?
10-20-2012, 02:30 AM
Mp4 is a container. The CHD will decode h264 content in an mp4 container (among others). And looking at your log, that's exactly what it's doing:

Code:
11:03:29 T:2969447312    INFO: DVDVideoCodecCrystalHD: Opened Broadcom Crystal HD Codec
11:03:29 T:2969447312   DEBUG: FactoryCodec - Video: chd-h264 - Opened

I'm not sure why you're getting the slow motion thing. That happens to me sometimes after a reboot when I attempt to play a 720p or 1080p video. i've found a work around to play a 480p video first. this seems to allocate the resources necessary for CHD playback and i assume some bit of it remains memory resident so it doesn't need to do it again. after that, i can play a 720p or 1080p video without fuss. they'll be a little jerky at startup but it only lasts a few seconds. but you're trying to play a 480p video so ive got no clue. i dont see anything problematic from the log.

Debug log instructions:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file/Easy
10-21-2012, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2012 05:32 PM by wcblack.)
Thanks for your reply. I tried playing a 480p video first, unfortunately it didn't help. I've tried everything I can find in the forums and online. I just reinstalled everything, it worked a little better for a day, but now back to the same. Even sd files do not play well, there are a lot of artifacts and the longer the video the more out of sync the audio goes. It is very frustrating. I'm wondering if I have a bad BCM70015 card. Thanks for any more suggestions anyone has.
10-22-2012, 03:36 PM
That would be my guess. You can turn off CHD support in settings->video->playback. But then you're doing all software decoding. any 400/480p h264 (like your 666 test file) should play.

Debug log instructions:
10-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks kraqh3d for your help. I unchecked allow hardware acceleration and no change. I am hooked up with a wireless connection through the ethernet port. I don't have very good internet connection, so I never stream movies. But, I tried today and I can stream 720p & 1080p content fine (except for the buffering). Also, I can stream 1080p content whether or not hardware acceleration is checked, why???

So, I can't watch mp4s from a flash drive or from the internal hard drive, but can watch them streaming??? Because of my bandwidth and other people in the house using the internet connection, I need to watch videos either from a flash drive or the internal drive.
10-22-2012, 07:14 PM
There are video containers, and video codecs. The codec determines if its offloaded to a CHD card, and the main one is h264 (mpeg4-part10) or mpeg2 video if the video dimensions are 720p or greater. I cannot comment on what you can and cannot play unless you post the debug log, but I highly doubt you were able to stream a true 1080p file without the CHD doing the decoding. And you weren't very clear about the original issue either. Are you saying that you only get the problem only occurs when you attempt to play the file off a USB flash drive? Did you test streaming that same file from a remote file share? And streaming doesn't mean over the *Internet*. You can stream off a device that's on your local LAN without even needing any Internet access at all.

Debug log instructions:
10-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Yes. I should have been more clear. When I stream the videos over my LAN they do not work. But, over the internet they do. I haven't tried the same files over a remote file share. I can play, what is listed as 1080p videos, over the internet with CHD off. When I hold a long pause while playing it says 1080. I tried to play a mp4 video on my hard drive and a 1080p over the internet with debug on and CHD off. Here it is: http://pastebin.com/mS30EM4F
10-22-2012, 08:48 PM
I think the issue is that GENERAL_RESYNC() message. That file has a huge discrepancy between the audio and video timing. Over the LAN and on local disk, Xbmc doesn't buffer which actually makes recovering from those errors difficult. Over the Internet, there's a big buffer so it handles it better. Check other problematic files and see if you see that error. I'll look for the same episode of 666 as a test.

Debug log instructions:
10-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Yes, other files that do not play correctly have the discrepancy. But, videos play better with acceleration off, so I'm returning the Crystal HD card and getting another. I'll let you know when I receive the new one if it solves the problems.