Vero is OSMC's new flagship device. Find out more here.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Database and gapless playback problems
07-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Database and gapless playback problems
I have two problems with all the XBMC builds I have tried:

1) Not gapless playback. I mostly play from a NAS, but it didn't help to place the files locally either.
2) Problems with scanning the database. If I scan the whole music folder, it will stop after a few albums. And it skips most of the albums with mp3 files, but not all of them. If I scan folders one by one, it will still skip most mp3 files, but be fine with mp4 or flac.

Since this happens in both Raspbmc, OpenElec and the Raspian XMBC build, I suppose that the problem lies in XBMC itself. Has anyone else experienced this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2012, 03:32 PM
RE: Database and gapless playback problems
(07-23-2012 10:09 AM)trondis23 Wrote:  I have two problems with all the XBMC builds I have tried:

1) Not gapless playback. I mostly play from a NAS, but it didn't help to place the files locally either.
2) Problems with scanning the database. If I scan the whole music folder, it will stop after a few albums. And it skips most of the albums with mp3 files, but not all of them. If I scan folders one by one, it will still skip most mp3 files, but be fine with mp4 or flac.

RC4 didn't resolve these problems. Regarding the no gapless/long load between tracks issue, I think that something must have happened with XBMC on recent releases. This works perfectly with an OpenElec build from June 23. Apart from this, I suspect that my NAS might be the problem.
08-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Hi,
I have the gapless problem too both in Raspbmc and OpenElec...
Tonight I tried the RC4 but it seems to start playing songs from the second 5. In OpenElec, from the other side, there was a noise between two consecutive tracks. I do need gapless playback so please help me! Smile
08-08-2012, 11:37 AM
(07-23-2012 10:09 AM)trondis23 Wrote:  I have two problems with all the XBMC builds I have tried:

Since this happens in both Raspbmc, OpenElec and the Raspian XMBC build, I suppose that the problem lies in XBMC itself. Has anyone else experienced this?

AE for the RaspberryPI is deactivated in XBMC and all playback is done through the internal omxplayer, which is not gapless. There are several reasons why this was done. Main reason is the resource hunger of AE.

Cheers

gimli
08-08-2012, 07:27 PM
(08-08-2012 11:37 AM)gimli Wrote:  AE for the RaspberryPI is deactivated in XBMC and all playback is done through the internal omxplayer, which is not gapless. There are several reasons why this was done. Main reason is the resource hunger of AE.

Cheers

gimli

I have perfect gapless playback in the OpenElec version that I am currently using. It was compiled on June 26, and says Git: 39c680e. So it obviously can be done. But it uses PA player as standard, it seems.
08-09-2012, 08:14 PM
(08-08-2012 07:27 PM)trondis23 Wrote:  I have perfect gapless playback in the OpenElec version that I am currently using. It was compiled on June 26, and says Git: 39c680e. So it obviously can be done. But it uses PA player as standard, it seems.

Sorry, I can't find an OpenElec build for June the 26th, can you tell me exactly wich version are you using? Is it in this repo?
Thanks,
Paolo
08-10-2012, 11:06 AM
You can try one of the June 23 builds. I don't remember exactly where I found the img, but it must be from one of the threads on the raspberry pi forums Media centres and gaming with OpenElec in the heading title. I realize now that it was the PA player that was used then, and that this provides the gapless playback.

I just read in another forum that it is possible to install an alternative music player in Raspbmc. But I haven't tried it yet myself. Alternatives could be XMMS2, MPD and Mplayer. I believe that they are gapless. Someone successfully installed mplayer on a Raspberry Pi. Then it can be made the default music player by editing the playercorefactory.xml file. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me could try this out?
08-10-2012, 11:53 AM
If paplayer isn't gapless (or any other player for that matter), wouldn't it be possible to enable AE just for music?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2012, 01:19 PM
(08-10-2012 11:53 AM)MrJackson Wrote:  If paplayer isn't gapless (or any other player for that matter), wouldn't it be possible to enable AE just for music?

PAplayer is gapless, but not omxplayer. But they removed PAplayer.
08-10-2012, 02:10 PM
(08-10-2012 11:06 AM)trondis23 Wrote:  You can try one of the June 23 builds.
Thank you, I tried the last of the 23 and it is gapless!

By the way, I've installed audacious IN RASPBIAN. It play very good and gapless. Now I'm gonna try Xbmc in Raspbian and see how does it work...