This forum is now read only and kept for historical purposes. We'd love you to stay in the loop, and if you'd like to as well, you can sign up for our new forum here

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Alpha] usb sound cards support for raspbmc
01-06-2013, 05:02 PM
RE: [Alpha] usb sound cards support for raspbmc
(01-05-2013 10:52 PM)chaosgenie Wrote:  Hi,

I got my PCM2704 working using the mplayer with a normal mp3-file.
But I could not get it to work with my brand new raspbmc-installation. I tried to activate AE but this ends up in an endless loop. I did not modify anything else.

Any hints or ideas?

Kind regards,
CG

I've got the same card, Mister Fab & 'forot-his-name' got the same cards.

Mister Fab got it 'working' by buying a hdmi capable receiver.

I'm currently using an max 40 Watt receiver, and the new receiver i found on the internet which is capable of HDMI inputs, consumes like 100 Watts's.

I have currently running a shuttle barebone computer with Mediaportal, this machine consumes about 60 Watt's. The reason i want the pi for my movies and series is cause of it's low consumption 3-5 Watt.

So i bought this PCM2704 chip, read this whole thread (!!) and found out it play's audio really nice. The sound quality is very good. For music / radio that is.

For movies, i got it once to work (with the pre-prepped sd card that this topic starter mentioned.)

But it auto update itself and i got stuck in the white wait screen loop.

Never the less, i've got it working with that sd image. But when playing an movie / tv show (x264, ac3) i found out it does some resampling. this cost so much load that the frame rate drops real bad.

So i installed the normal image again, and couldn't get pass-through to work.

What i want to know:
Which sound cards seem to work with 5.1 pass-through? My receiver is capable of DTS / AC3 streams, but the PCM2704 doesn't send them 1 on 1.

Still deciding whether i should buy a new receiver, or wait for an stable version of AudioEngine and buy a good usb card.

Any suggestions?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2013, 02:37 PM
(01-06-2013 05:02 PM)leroyz84 Wrote:  [...]
What i want to know:
Which sound cards seem to work with 5.1 pass-through? My receiver is capable of DTS / AC3 streams, but the PCM2704 doesn't send them 1 on 1.
[...]
I have Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II, it definitely works with passthrough at the OS level.
With rasbmc I recently tried some nightly build from december with the following results with passthrough:
- A/V ac3 5.1 - downmixed to stereo
- A/V dts - no sound
- Audio only ac3 - downmixed to stereo
- Audio only dts 4.0 - plays with short breaks (sync) every few seconds

Thus the hardware is fine and I can recommend it. However I believe some more time is needed for developers to get it working right.
01-09-2013, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2013 04:01 PM by chaosgenie.)
HDMI receiver would be a solution, but too expensive at the moment.

So, any other ideas how to get it working?
Why is my raspbmc looping when I enable "Audio engine"? I activated HDMI in the raspbmc-Audio-Setup.

Cheers
01-09-2013, 04:59 PM
I am currently using the latest nightly with a Cambridge Audio DacMagic. With AudioEngine enabled, and downmix to stereo, I get sound through USB. The problem I have is that whenever the CPU is loaded (even when just moving around in the menu), I get crackles and interruptions in sound output. Also, sound is NEVER synced to video, right from the start of the video; usually it's off by about a second or so. My question is whether these are normal issues or if there is something I can do to mitigate some of the problems.

Cheers.
01-09-2013, 05:02 PM
I also have these delays after installing alsa-audio over the analog output.
01-09-2013, 07:22 PM
@ all

video/audio sync is not supported yet
01-10-2013, 12:22 AM
(01-09-2013 04:59 PM)opt-e Wrote:  I am currently using the latest nightly with a Cambridge Audio DacMagic. With AudioEngine enabled, and downmix to stereo, I get sound through USB. The problem I have is that whenever the CPU is loaded (even when just moving around in the menu), I get crackles and interruptions in sound output. Also, sound is NEVER synced to video, right from the start of the video; usually it's off by about a second or so. My question is whether these are normal issues or if there is something I can do to mitigate some of the problems.

Cheers.

I am usinng the same setup with the Cambridge Audio DacMagic via usb and i have exactly the same problems. Interestingly, everthing worked fine with the beta 3 version of raspbmc, inclouding pluse audio 2.1, and a nightly from 20121219. Perhaps anyone can give us a hint how to install the respective old version?
01-10-2013, 05:53 PM
(01-09-2013 07:22 PM)SüßeSahne Wrote:  @ all

video/audio sync is not supported yet

Thanks for that information. Any idea when it will be supported?
01-11-2013, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2013 12:02 PM by bugada.)
I've connected the PI to a ToppingTP30 to use its internal DAC. Then I've enabled audioengine to use external USB dac.

When playing music the cpu goes to 100% (76% xbmc, 19% pulseaudio) and the gui is unusable (delay,popping etc)
But the worst thing is that if I use the paplayer, the system crashes at the start of the second song of the playlist, if I use omxplayer everithing is ok.
Randomly with omxplayer, a song continue to infinite (no sound but counter increasing).

If you need further infos to investigate tell me what log I have to provide.

Thank you.
Andrea
01-11-2013, 01:22 PM
I have exactly the same problem with dr. DAC nano. What's more omxplayer can't play same flac files Huh