Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't restore ATV OS to internal HDD or USB
08-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Can't restore ATV OS to internal HDD or USB
Originally ran patchstick to add XBMC to ATV OS on the internal HDD. Then installed Crystalbuntu to the internal HDD, wanted to reduce heat and noise so i disconnected the internal HDD and installed Crystalbuntu to a USB flash drive. I now want to revert back to the ATV OS on either a USB drive or the internal HDD but I cannot get any of the options to work. When i run the crystalhd linux apple installer i can only get it to work if i choose Ubuntu and USB Drive. The other options all go through what seems to be a normal process of downloads and installation and i end up back at the Crystalbuntu login screen.

I have also tried the OpenElec swissarmyknife route but after the install reboots and i remove the USB key i end up at the black screen with the ATV box logo and the blinking question mark.

My last note is that when i originally disconnected the internal HDD i stupidly removed the IDE cable, i replaced it with the cable shown here . The installations all seem to run through the download processes and i do feel the HDD spin up so i can't be 100% sure if the HDD/cable is the issue or not?

Please can someone give me some idea as to where i can look next.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2012, 05:24 PM
RE: Can't restore ATV OS to internal HDD or USB
If no one has specific guidance would anyone know of any alternate location I could look for help?
09-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Still holding out hope that someone will see this and help me. I have attempted the script that Tempneff mentions in his post http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=39&page=3 to no avail.

After running the USB installer and running the script I am seeing a white screen and in the middle it is flashing between the ATV box with question mark, the Apple logo and a circle with a line through it. This sequence just continually flashes.

Has anyone else seen this result?
09-02-2012, 04:50 PM
(09-02-2012 04:39 PM)adamarc Wrote:  Still holding out hope that someone will see this and help me. I have attempted the script that Tempneff mentions in his post http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=39&page=3 to no avail.

After running the USB installer and running the script I am seeing a white screen and in the middle it is flashing between the ATV box with question mark, the Apple logo and a circle with a line through it. This sequence just continually flashes.

Has anyone else seen this result?

If your worried its your hdd connection, try installing chrystalbuntu to the internal hdd. Remember always hold the reset button combination on the apple remote to force a usb boot when trying to install something new.

If that works i suggest going the openelec restore route via a local installation. In other words, download the img file and place it in the appropriate directory on your usb stick and change the command as instructed on the openelec wiki for a offline restore. When i tried the online restore it failed but I have successfully restored it offline twice, but went back to crystalbuntu since it works so much better.

I hope that helps. Post back here if you still have trouble after trying those things mentioned above.
09-02-2012, 07:53 PM
calev, firstly, thank you very much for your reply.

I was able to install crystalbuntu to the internal hdd. After that, i created the openelec swissarmyknife usb key with the factoryrestore keyword. After creation, i moved the *.tar.gz file into the OpenElec partition as mentioned here http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...e_Apple_OS for offline restore. I rebooted the ATV with the USB drive attached and held the - and menu buttons to reset the ATV. This is where i think the problem starts. According to Step 3 of the OpenElec instructions "Power the AppleTV ON. After 10-15 seconds you should see the Grey/Blue OpenELEC logo on the screen, then the SwissArmyKnife script will start and confirm the current keyword function." I never see the grey/blue OpenElec logo i only see the ATV box w/Tux logo and it boots back into Crystalbuntu from the internal hdd.

Any guidance from here?
09-02-2012, 08:34 PM
(09-02-2012 07:53 PM)adamarc Wrote:  calev, firstly, thank you very much for your reply.

I was able to install crystalbuntu to the internal hdd. After that, i created the openelec swissarmyknife usb key with the factoryrestore keyword. After creation, i moved the *.tar.gz file into the OpenElec partition as mentioned here http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...e_Apple_OS for offline restore. I rebooted the ATV with the USB drive attached and held the - and menu buttons to reset the ATV. This is where i think the problem starts. According to Step 3 of the OpenElec instructions "Power the AppleTV ON. After 10-15 seconds you should see the Grey/Blue OpenELEC logo on the screen, then the SwissArmyKnife script will start and confirm the current keyword function." I never see the grey/blue OpenElec logo i only see the ATV box w/Tux logo and it boots back into Crystalbuntu from the internal hdd.

Any guidance from here?

Ok i think i know what the problem is. Don't worry about reseting with the apple remote. Pull the power cord and plug it back in. Now as soon as you do that, point the apple remote at your apple tv and hold the menu and - buttons. If you do this during start up, it forces the apple tv to try and boot from usb. For some reason the ATV doesn't always check to boot off of usb first. As long as you see a yellow light while doing this and your usb stick is bootable, you will see a openelec logo and your atv should be restored to 2.0 . If you don't see the openelec logo, then your usb stick was never bootable and its something with the usb creation process. If thats the case let me know what kind of system your on, ie ubuntu, debian, osx,version number.
09-02-2012, 08:49 PM
I don't think that worked either. I unplugged the power and plugged it back in, immediately held - and menu. I am not quite sure when i should be releasing those buttons? I tried it a couple times, releasing when the yellow light began blinking, also another time releasing when the system rebooted again. Either way, always boots to crystalbuntu.

I am creating the USB stick from Linux mint on a secondary machine. My main machine is Win 7 64 bit.
09-02-2012, 08:59 PM
(09-02-2012 08:49 PM)adamarc Wrote:  I don't think that worked either. I unplugged the power and plugged it back in, immediately held - and menu. I am not quite sure when i should be releasing those buttons? I tried it a couple times, releasing when the yellow light began blinking, also another time releasing when the system rebooted again. Either way, always boots to crystalbuntu.

I am creating the USB stick from Linux mint on a secondary machine. My main machine is Win 7 64 bit.

Ok thats good, We narrowed down the problem. The problem is definitely with your usb creation. Your usb key is not bootable. So, make sure this is a usb stick that you have used before(so we know it works to boot the atv)(preferable the one you used to install crystalbuntu). Make sure you reformat it to fat 32 before running the script and post your terminal input and output for the usb creation on pastbin and post a link here or in the openelec forums. Since this is a problem with their script they might help you as fast or faster than i can. I would post both here and there. That way you have double the chance of somebody figuring out the exact problem. Sorry this is taking so long but debugging on forums usually does.
09-02-2012, 09:17 PM
I am using the same USB key that i was using to run Crystalbuntu directly from USB. I reformated as FAT32. I think originally i was formatting as NTFS assuming that the script was reformatting the USB again. After doing so and rebooting the ATV i still don't see the Openelec logo and it boots to Crystalbuntu on the internal hdd. Below is the link to the pastbin of my terminal.

http://pastebin.com/B3CS8r6c
09-02-2012, 10:12 PM
ok its failing at line 76, notice,

"
INFO: Creating RECOVERY Partition
mount: you must specify the filesystem type
"

Type the following commands without quotes.

" sudo apt-get install hfsprogs "

" sudo apt-get install hfsutils "

Reformat your usb stick and retry the script.
If that works post back how bad ass i am, if it doesn't, re-post your terminal output after those packages have been installed.